Friday, May 13, 2011

Danger, Danger Will Robinson!

By Sarah Dewitt

After battling my weight for most of my life you would think I would have this battle down to a science, right? Well, no. Obviously if I had it down to a science I would no longer be in the battle. As I continue to feel great and enjoy making and eating healthy food choices like I never have before, I'm acquiring a list of "red light" foods that just don't play well with me, or more likely, I don't play well with them.

My son's Dairy Queen death by chocolate ice cream cake is first on my list. I had a nice big piece and it was heaven...and then another sliver and another sliver...until I slammed the lid on it and shoved it in the freezer...with a stomach ache! It was at that point I had an ahuh moment when I realized there are some foods that when I finish eating it, I just want more and more. The next day, now wiser that this food is a trigger for me, went a little better. I had another piece of ice cream cake, but this one was a 1 inch sliver, I ate it, enjoyed it and was happy with that.

I did the same thing with brownies, chocolate chunk, still warm from the oven, nice big brownie and then right back into the kitchen for another one...which I hid in the kitchen to eat. Same pattern, I did better the second day with a modest piece and content with that.

We all need to treat ourselves and eat things we love. One big diet sabotage for me is to feel deprived of something or to feel hungry. I've got the hunger thing in control, I've just got to keep an eye on those red light foods that give me temporary insanity. At the end of the day, it's OK, forgive yourself and move on. Tomorrow is another day!

Sarah

1 comment:

Susan said...

You are a great blogger. I watched Dr. Oz with Dad one day and he suggested freezing portions of treats to slow yourself down when temptation strikes. Of course, this will not help when the treat lives in the freezer or is fresh out of the oven and cannot be frozen in that moment. Still...it is a good tip which is why I thought I would mention it. Susan